There is a lot of potential unused space in a basement. If you are not sure if you want a finished space in your basement when you are building your new custom home, here are a few things to think about when making your decision.
Pros of Finishing Your Basement
- It increases your livable space – a finished basement creates more living space for a fraction of the cost of building an addition.
- It increases your resale value – Finishing your basement can significantly increase the resale value of your home. This is particularly true if many other homes in your neighborhood have unfinished basements. Your home will seem much larger, and it will likely sell faster.
- It creates a private space – There are so many options available to you when you finish your basement. A popular option is a quiet, comfortable space for watching TV and relaxing.
- Basements are ideal for noisy or messy activities – you can create a movie room or an arts and craft room. Your basement acts as a natural sound buffer, allowing you (or your kids) to stream a movie or play your favorite tunes at full volume. Depending on the space, you may want to think about adding additional soundproofing.
- It can become an extra income space – You can create a separate living quarter and rent it out for extra income, or just use it as a guest suite in the future if you might need it.
Cons of Finishing Your Basement
- Cost – finishing a basement can be an expensive project. We recommend absorbing the cost when you build your new custom home vs. having the expense down the road.
- Moisture problems – one thing to keep in mind is that you ensure your foundation is solid and the grade of the terrain around your house are done properly. Failing to address moisture or mold concerns before construction begins can result in costly repairs in the future.
- Darkness can be an issue in below-grade basements – Do the words dank, dark, or uncomfortable come to mind when you think about your basement? The good news is that when you are building your new home, you can plan for these things ahead of time and ensure you have the lighting you want or need in the basement space.
If you decide to finish your basement, this is something we can build into the cost of building your new home. It is definitely something you want to consider and make a decision on when plans are being drawn up to ensure all of the costs are figured out up-front. The biggest thing you need to know is how you want the basement to be set up to be used and we can build it into the plans as we design your new custom home.
Have any questions on finishing your basement? Contact us today, we would love to get you some answers!